I am an Italian girl, a weird dancer, a chaos master.

Thursday, October 21, 2004

It's all Greek to me!

Now I'm very interested in history. So I told mom to buy for me some history books... now in Italy there are two daily mags that edit them, as an "attachment" (don't know the right word, and I feel to lazy to search it).
They are huge books, each one describing the history of a century or of a people.
I only had the time to start reading the one of the Greeks.
I found it very beautiful, but then, going on reading, I found a chapter very slow to read, about pottery and metals and other manufacts. The why is that it was of another writer.
So I started getting info about the good author, Peter Levi. And discovered he wrote a romance, The Light Garden of the Angel King. Did he wrote something else in English? I know about a history atlas, this romance and a few poetry.
I suggest you to read something about him!
If you look for a better description about the book (I didn't read it, but soon will do so) you can find it here.
I put on line the Italian cover... hope you will forgive me, I don't wont to charge another pic on my web space! And, I found amusing to see different covers. In the future I will show an example of differences, it's a promise.

8 Comments:

Blogger DementedPhotographer said...

I'll have to check on both the book and the author later. The Greeks have a very interesting cultural history, though. I can see why you would enjoy reading about it!

-G

21 October, 2004 21:55

 
Blogger marziotta said...

Garrison... I never loved so much Greeks, I usually prefer other ancient people... Celts, Etruschi (a people from Tuscany... perhaps they have Greek blood, I discovered it reading the book that made me know Peter... so sorry he was dead 4 years ago... I always hope to know my favourite authors!), Indians, Sumeri (I wrote some people in Italian... I didn't find the translation!).
Someone who's able to write and to transmit what he thinks and what he feels allows you to love something you never thought you could love.
I'm happy I convinced you to read something written by him!

Yesterday my mind was down... I made so much mistakes in the post...
Maybe in the future I'll ask you to correct me, and then I'll correct errors with a different colour. Maybe I could learn English a bit better.

22 October, 2004 08:47

 
Blogger DementedPhotographer said...

It is amazing how much difference one writer can make in one's perspective of history.

I think you do quite well with English. Other than your blog, how often do you get to practice it? Of course, I'll help any time you ask. :) I've been thinking of reading your Italian blog to see what I can learn from it.

-G

22 October, 2004 12:12

 
Blogger marziotta said...

A person who is full of love and passion can always allow you to love something you haven't ever wondered.

I read English books (Alice Underground - Lewis Carrol, The pleasure of being Earnest - Oscar Wilde, The Gates of Lucifer - Lloyd Arthur Eshbach), I exchange some emails with an English journalist and translate his columns for the mag I work for. I chat sometimes on msn, but I didn't found great writers.
I don't know how you could help me... perhaps you could make a list of my errors, or suggest me something useful to read.
My problem is that I'm quite able to read&write, but not to listen&talk. To listen esp is so difficult for me!

22 October, 2004 12:34

 
Blogger DementedPhotographer said...

Hmmm... perhaps I should do an audio blog and let you write back what I said. ;)

-G

22 October, 2004 15:43

 
Blogger Katie said...

Thanks for the recommendation - I love history and I love reading so I'm always open to suggestions!

Was the word you were looking for, "installments"? Just a guess :)

22 October, 2004 16:45

 
Blogger marziotta said...

On Saturday I bought the book... in Italian, of course... started reading it, and there are three intros... one by Tiziano Terzani, an Italian man who followed war scenes, I suppose he helped people (and wrote books, too), who has died one or two months ago; one by Peter, wrote in 1999; one else by Peter, wrote in 1969 or 1970, when first edited the book; there's also some notes at the end by Maurizio Tosi...
I think I'll translate for you the words of Tiziano, I don't think you'll find them on the Italian version. Only give me the time, today I'm so busy...

Katie, I don't know which is the correct word... I asked on a forum, hope someone will reply me soon!

25 October, 2004 10:30

 
Blogger marziotta said...

I think the right word is supplement.

26 October, 2004 10:07

 

Post a Comment

<< Home